Thursday, February 4, 2010

shark cage diving





(cute, little guy)


I know what you're thinking, and I totally agree... I am WORKING that wetsuit, eh? Ha. I've never worn a wetsuit before, mind you, and it took a two people to help me in it and two people to help me out. Apparently, though, that was normal. Everyone was falling all over the place on that fLoAtInG, wAvInG, uP & dOwN boat. Thinking about it is already making me queasy, so let me rewind before I get too far ahead of myself.


The day began early with 2 1/2 hour bus ride (yes, it had a shark painted on the side as I had hoped) to Kleinbaai. It was rainy, dreary, and very ominous. Which I thought was all too appropriate for the upcoming adventure.


We arrived to a buffet breakfast: delicious fruit and juices. At this point I had no idea I'd be seeing those same fruit/juices again so soon, if you catch my drift... Anyway, I met lots of new people, they all loved my Jaws tshirt. Yes, I wore it loud & proud. The crew snickered, but that probably means they were seriously jealous. Right?


We shipped out at 11 and before we knew it we had spotted our cage; floating, all alone, with fish oils attached at every end to attract THE predator. First thing the captain said "don't worry, we're not gonna make you swim out to the cage & get in." Well, duh you're not! I'd be asking for my money back quicker than a nerd buys the new Harry Potter book.


They attached the cage to the side of the boat all the while men baited for the sharks- throwing out chum and tuna. During this time I realized I do not have the balance I thought I did. Years and years of ballet and dance suddenly went out the window as I fell/hugged on nearly every person on that boat. And the people that I didn't hug, got their toes stepped on... again and again. Suddenly "the girl in the Jaws tshirt" didn't seem so charming and clever, she was a bumbling/stumbling monster out to bruise every unsuspecting passenger on that boat. Embarrassing.


Back to the wetsuits, it's time. The first 5 people suited up, hopped in the cold water/cage, and braved the first batch of sharks. All the while, I was like a well-trained paparazzi on the top part of the boat. I got photos of everything: every little turn of a fin, whip of a tail, splash of some salt water, soaring of sea gulls, tossing of chum, etc.


Then it was my turn to suit up. As mentioned before, waaaay easier said than done. Though I appreciated the help of others, it was semi-embarrassing to have the old "chum man" with dreads and Jamaican hat on come out of nowhere to start pulling on my suit for me. I guess I was really looking like a struggler, he's probably dealt with my kind for years on that boat.


The minute the snug, little suit was on and I stood up it was like a major pressure change. Suddenly I was transformed into weak sauce. I immediately found the side of the boat, down wind of course, and couldn't contain the nausea... on a Great White shark below. Yeah. Not my proudest moment, but how many people can say they barfed on one of the world's most feared animals. It makes me sound semi-hard core when phrased that way, hey?


My turn! Me and 4 others got into the cage! Unfortunately, I was quickly filled with the realization that I had weights around my neck and was trapped in a cage that, if somehow came unattached to the boat during the high waves, would plummet down down down into the deep dark sea with sharks. Not a fun thought to suddenly be bombarded with upon the cage lid shutting. (And I'm sorry, Lauren, for the horrible imagery I just gave you- don't have nightmares.) But the minute we were under (holding ONLY the red bar in the cage, unless you had a problem with your hands and didn't want to return to shore with them) and I saw all the little fishies and a shark, my worries went away... as weird as that sounds. It was like the thought "I'm in South Africa, shark cage diving, off the coast of an island that was on nearly every one of Discovery Channel's Shark Week programs! This is awesome!" surpassed all the fears of a slow and painful death.


When that feeling passed, however, the sea sickness monkey jumped on my back again. My poor cage mates. You can imagine. I won't be eating cantaloupe again for a while.


Moving on, it was a great experience. And it really wasn't as miserable as throwing up continuously sounds. The sharks were intense and now I know that my stomach turns to jello on a boat in the ocean. Good to know, indeed.


We saw 9 different sharks, some reaching 3 meters long. One of which was a scary, crazy, big bro. He had scars all over his fin, that was flopping over in a ravenous way. He HAD to be the alpha-shark. The man. The head honcho. And he was angry. He bit the cage while some divers were in it. I was jealous, I wish that I could've seen that up close.



Well, I certainly think that was a long enough description. Hope this lovely Thursday finds you well! I start class Monday, so soon all these adventurous/fun stories will probably stop. Booo for real life and education. I've been enjoying being on vacation :)


love/miss you all! -les

2 comments:

  1. Chum chumminy, chum chumminy, chum, chum, churree! Leslie barfs her guts out into the sea.

    Chum chumminy, chum chumminy, chum, chum, churroo! I pity the fools who shake hands with you.

    PS You are very "Charlie's Angels" in those aviators and short shorts. Lurve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so stinkin' cool.

    ReplyDelete